Another stay home activities we did almost everyday is cooking with kids. Staying at home 7/24, we need to prepare at least three meals (sometimes four) per day. I enjoy easy cooking with kids as they tend to have more family involvement and eat more! Below are some cooking recipes with kids which my children and I love most:
5-minute DIY Pizza Dough – Simple & Fun
Almost every kid loves pizza. If you think it is too complicated to do your own pizza dough, you may buy some readily-made pizza dough and let your children add toppings. But I think it is more fun to let them knead and roll the dough. This 5-minute pizza dough recipe is the simplest and quickest recipe we ever tried. Although it is easy and fast, the pizza is still delicious!
Pizza dough ingredients for three 8-inch pizza:
- Bread Flour or Strong Flour 250g
- Instant Yeast 5g
- Himalayan Salt 3g
- Raw Sugar 7g
- Olive Oil 1 tablespoon
- Lukewarm Water (around 40C) 140g
Pizza toppings at your own choice (you may also add any toppings you like):
- Tomato paste
- Pineapple (not for Italian haha…)
- Ham or sausages
- Cherry tomatoes
- White mushrooms
- Sliced mozzarella cheese
- Chopped parmesan cheese
- Chop and drain all toppings, pat dry by kitchen paper.
- Put lukewarm water into a large bowl, add sugar and yeast. Stir well to dissolve.
- Add olive oil, salt and flour. Stir and knead on working mat.
- Separate the dough into 3 portions, roll the dough to flat circle. You may store the unused dough in refrigerator for one night or freezer for a month.
- Preheat the oven to 250C. Add tomato paste then other toppings on pizza dough, finally top up with parmesan and mozzarella cheese.
- Bake in oven for 5-6 minutes, until it’s golden brown and cheese melted.
This is a popular recipe for lunch of my two daughters and me. Portion is perfect, procedures are fast and easy. Children also enjoy making their unique pizza in different shapes and toppings.
Pancake – Perfect for Breakfast or Tea
Recently I bought a multi-purpose electric cooker, including a pancake hot plate. So I start making pancake for breakfast with my kids. At the beginning, I used ready-made pancake mix which is very convenient. Just add water to the pancake mix, then let the kids pour on the hot plate and cook. They can then decorate the pancake with their favourite fruits and maple or chocolate syrup.
You may also try to make your own pancake with below recipe:
- Cake Flour 120g
- Egg 3pcs
- Sugar 54g
- Honey 30g
- Milk 100ml
- Baking Powder 3g
- Salt 1g
- Crack 3 eggs into one big bowl, whisk with electric mixer. Add sugar in two times then whisk until colour fades and volume increases.
- Add honey, milk, baking power and salt. Mix well with scrapper.
- Sift flour into the mixture and mix well with scrapper in one direction. Let rest for one hour (can put in refrigerator).
- Heat the pan or hot plate with medium then low heat. Pour a scoop of pancake mixture to circle shape, heat until bubbles come up. Flip to another side and heat for one minute.
- Serve with butter, any fruits and maple syrup.
Chocolate Muffin or Cupcake – All Time Favourite Snacks
My children are chocolate lover, I believe many kids are. If you don’t want to make chocolate flavour, you can change to banana instead. This is another easy cooking recipe for kids.
- Cupcake case 6pcs
- Unsalted Butter 50g
- Sugar 40g
- Egg 1pc
- Cake Flour 60g
- Baking Powder 3.5g
- Milk 40g
- Cocoa Powder 12g
- Chocolate Chip 40g
- Soften unsalted butter in room temperature. Preheat oven to 180/180C.
- Mix butter and sugar, whisk with electric mixer until colour fades and volume increases.
- Add egg and whisk with low speed until completely blended.
- Sift in flour in two times, use scrapper to fold in flour until mix well.
- Add baking powder and mix well.
- Add in half of the milk and sift in half cocoa powder, repeat once more.
- Scoop the mixture evenly in each cupcake case, add chocolate chip on top of each cupcake.
- Bake in oven at 180/180C for 12-18 minutes.
- Take out from oven and let cool.
DIY Mango Ice-cream – Preservative Free
Hong Kong is getting into summer, children are losing appetite. Ice-cream becomes a popular tea time snack at our home. I tried to make our own ice-cream to avoid too many preservatives. Surprisingly it is easy to make!
Ingredients (for around 8 servings):
- Whipping Cream 300g
- Mango 1 or 2 pcs (depending on how big it is)
- Sweetened Condensed Milk 30g (or any sweetness you like)
- Blend half mango into puree, add in whipping cream and whisk with electric mixer until fluffy.
- Add in condensed milk and whisk until mix well.
- Dice the other half mango, add in mixture and whisk well.
- Put into freezer for 8 hours.
Cooking Fun with Kids – Educating and Rewarding
While preparing and cooking with my children, I will teach them different scale and ingredients. They also practice maths by calculating the amount of ingredients required. Treasuring and thanksgiving are also what I want them to learn during the process. At least they love eating their own products and won’t waste them. Please do share with me any other cooking recipe with kids!